As many people know, I have been going crazy with DIY home decor since I am going to be eventually moving and getting my own apartment within the next month or so. Throw pillows are extremely costly these days and as a recent college grad, I cannot afford to pay $10 or more for EACH pillow! After doing some Pinterest hunting for DIY throw pillows, I found several ideas:
I also did some regular searching on the internet as well for other general ideas and kind of combined them all to make them myself.
DIY Project Tips & Info:
- Instead of buying fabric from the store, I bought a body pillow cover & table runner to make my pillows
- For the gray pillows:
- I bought two old pillows from Goodwill ($4.00 for both combined) and pulled out the stuffing
- I cut the table runner from the middle so I would only have to sew one side (did this for both pillows)
- After stuffing the pillows, I sewed the open end shut
- I still had enough fabric to make two more pillows, but chose to just sew the ends up and make it a short table runner
- For the turquoise pillows:
- I used two pillow inserts from old pillows at my house
- I cut the body pillow cover from the middle so I would only have to sew one side, just like the table runner
- One pillow has a zipper on it so it was much easier to insert the stuffing than the other pillows because I didn’t have to sew it back up (if you want a zipper on your pillows for easy cleaning, look at the pin above)
- I turned the case inside out and sewed most of it shut, turned it back out and stuffed the pillow
- After stuffing, I sewed the open part of the pillow by hand at first and then with machine
My final results turned out much better than I thought because I am not the greatest sewer. The gray pillows are smaller than the turquoise ones and I am completely okay with that. (I knew this when I compared the size of the fabrics when I bought them).
I made 4 pillows and a table runner for a total cost of $24.00!
Oh, and I forgot to mention….I also ended up giving in to buying a pre-made throw pillow because it was on clearance at Target for $7.00. There was only one pillow left and I thought it would look great with my other patterned pillows! Such a bargain!